Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Thanks, Teach




Dear Social Grace,

I am in a quandary.

My son just took a three day camping trip with his elementary school. It ended up being a wonderful experience, but I was a little nervous sending him as this was his first time away from home. One teacher was especially helpful in this department; he assured me that he would put my son in his cabin group, and gave me his cell phone number just in case. I was able to check in via text message once or twice a day, get a very brief update of how things were going, and this made all the difference in the world. As it turned out, it went so well that I didn't even feel the need to bother him after the first full day.

My quandary is: I would really like to do something special for this guy. He clearly had plenty to deal with on this trip, but he made a special effort to make sure that my son was safe and happy, and that I was not worried. I don't want the other teachers who were also there to feel slighted--they were all, I am sure, kind and helpful--but this one guy did go above and beyond. On the other hand, I don't want to be overly extravagant.

Any suggestions?


Grace Says:

It is important to acknowledge this type of effort, so kudos to you. Here are some ideas for you:

--Bake something. This is simple, personal, and a sure fire hit.
--Make a CD. Have your son help select the songs. (I know, I know, everyone uses Itunes nowadays, but this will expand his music library in a personal and creative manner.)
--Purchase a modest gift card. ITunes, a bookstore, or coffee shop would be appropriate.
--Call a local deli or pizzeria and have lunch delivered to the teacher during the school day, or make him a nice lunch and send it with your son. (Think tomato, basil and mozzarella, smoked turkey and boursin, chicken salad, a container of homemade soup or pasta--not PB&J).

If none of these appeals to you, a heartfelt note explaining how much his support meant to you and your family is always a good choice, and often means more than material goods.


SG

Speaking of camp...love this old classic:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think gift cards and a thank you note (the note is a MUST) are perfect in most of these cases. With food allergies and dietary restrictions, gifts of food, no matter how delicious and homemade, can be a potential disaster.

Also worth doing: sending a note to the principal of the school, noting this teacher's willingness to go above and beyond.